Once you have booked your vehicle in for its MOT, remember to take your Vehicle Registration Document – often referred to as the “V5” document – and a means of paying the current fee.

The MoT certificate is only required if you would like the new MOT to run for more than 12 months.

If the vehicle fails its MOT, it does not meet legal requirements and must be repaired to comply with MOT Test standards. The notes on the back of the report your Nominated Tester gives you will help you.

If you think the Nominated Tester has been unfair you can appeal against the decision. Ask for a VT17 form that explains what to do.

At Eurolane MOT testing centre, we offer a 10 day re-test free of charge. For more details on how you can claim a re-test free of charge please call us on 01280 822 822

Originally called the Ministry of Transportation test, an MOT is a thorough annual examination of a vehicle that is three years old or more. The MOT tests both the safety of your vehicle and the level of emissions in the exhaust.

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) is responsible for “licensing” both the MOT test station and the MOT tester.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle is examined every 12 months. Without an MOT certificate, you will be unable to renew your road tax and your car may not be insured. Having a current MOT certificate is also a legal requirement in the UK.